Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Perspective: Life as a Recipe? And...A Recipe for Pumpkin Bread

Today I made some delicious Pumpkin Bread.

Recipe and picture to follow.

As I was making it, I was looking at a handwritten
recipe which didn't include flour. As that seemed
odd, I went to check the recipe elsewhere to see
that there should have been flour included.

It had me consider how when you know how to
do something, you know when something doesn't
look "right." If it was my first time baking ever,
I may have thought nothing of it, and then
wondered why it came out as it did, as it would
have had no real similarity to any bread I know.

On the other hand, I think sometimes when we
have a "recipe" for life, and follow it exactly, we
can miss out on some wonderful discoveries that
come from experiments and so-called mistakes,
and the joys of discovering something new.

Sometimes it might be best to go a prescribed
way, but we won't always know the possibilities
until we've made a choice to divert ourselves
from the spelled out path.

I would suspect the key is awareness. Being
aware of the possibilities puts us in a position
of being able to choose what we would like to
have/have happen.

Interesting how my mind works, isn't it?
Maybe I should call myself the philosophical
baker.

Without further ado, here you go! :-)


Pumpkin Quick Bread

Makes 1 loaf
Bake 350/50 minutes

7/8c canned pumpkin (w/o spice)
2 eggs
1/2c. olive oil
1/3c. water
1c. white sugar
1/2c. brown sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1t. baking soda
3/4t. sea salt
1/2t. cinnamon
1/2t. nutmeg
1/4t. cloves (ground)
1/8t. ginger

Mix together wet ingredients with sugars. Then stir in, just til mixed, the dry ingredients. Pour into a prepared pan, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix. Bread is fully baked when inserted toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy.

PS Need to do some cooking conversions? I have never
tried it, but this site might be helpful.

No comments: