Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Perfect Gift

This was my first World of Perspective Blog. I had tried to change the format on it after changing the format of my blog, but Blogger just wasn't having it for some strange reason. So I decided to try another entry for a clear format, as I decided that for the record I wanted to keep the original and not delete it.

Enjoy.



I just read an article, the content of which came from Sweden (Click Here for ArticleNo longer available). It was an interesting article, as it spoke about analysis regarding Santa's Christmas Eve travels. I love how people take the time to figure out these things.

However, more importantly, to me the article provides interesting insight and perspective. It poses two distinct possibilities based on two different analyses of Santa and his sleigh, and his worldly, whirlwind travel over the course of one night.

On one hand, it is estimated that for Santa to visit every home, he must visit 2.5 billion homes and must spend no more than 34 microseconds at each location to be able to complete his journey in time. In addition to, of course, the reindeer moving fast enough.

On the other hand, a different study quoted says that if Santa was to be in a sleigh the size it would have to be, in conjunction with the related physics that go along with it, Santa and his sleigh and presents would be destroyed, and gone. The actual term used is - "vaporized" - within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Both studies are essentially using the same type of data. The difference seems to be the outcome based on the conclusions.

Out of curiosity, which option would you believe to be true, if you had to pick one?

When I thought about this, I felt it was the epitome of what defines an optimistic or pessimistic point of view. I would almost want to say an optimist or pessimist. However, a person's point of view does not necessarily make the person. Or does it?

Think about it for a moment. If what you do creates who you are, and what you think about affects what you do, which in turn creates who you are. Then what you think about is what you create yourself to be.

So if you happen to think that your world is depressing, and that you are always let down, and that you never get what you want, then you are likely to be a person with a life in which the world is depressing, you are always let down, and you never get what you want.

On the other hand, if you believe that the world is a better place for those in it. If you feel that others will always look out for you. If you think you will always get what you need, and/or better, you will likely be a person who makes the world a better place, and feels better about the world in which you live.

Now, if your thoughts were indeed you, it is likely that you never would be able to alter who you are. Notice how above I said, "what you think about is what you CREATE yourself to be." The key word? "CREATE". That means that you have a choice. There are many expressions that are something akin to "change your thinking, and change your world."

You might wonder why bother? What difference does it make? Does it really matter what you think, if you aren't a believer in Santa? The short answer is "YES." There is a much longer answer that can go with the YES. However, the mini version goes something like this: How you think about anything is how you think about everything. If you, in general, are a half full kind of person, your attitude will likely find you in a world that is a much better place than the world in which a half empty person resides.

The next time you are thinking about something that is something other than what you want it to be, here are a few steps you can take:

1. consider the facts of the situation.

2. analyze the different sides of the equation.
(Remembering that there is always another perspective).

3. pick which side you would rather be on.

4. step to that side.

5. pick actions in accordance with that side.

6. ACT.

The first few times, you may find it difficult, it may even seem like a complex mathematical equation. Getting your mind to be open to other perspectives can sometimes be like learning another language. However difficult it may seem, it is DO-ABLE.

In an extreme sense, the above theories leave Santa as alive or dead. In a way, that is like the life you live. Your choices will leave you alive or dead. In some cases, it might even be literal. Someone who is reading this might quibble about Santa's existence to begin with, and if you are one of them, may I gently remind you that Santa is symbolic of the life that you're living.

This is about your choices, the ones the disempower, and the ones that empower. I am empowered when I can see that I am able to alter my perspectives. A changed perspective has changed my world, on more than one occasion, and in more than one way.

Am I perfect in this regard? Hardly. However, the more that I see that I can alter my world with the perspectives I bring to it, the more that I am willing to "play with" altering the perspectives I bring to my life and its situations.

This holiday season, give yourself the perfect gift. Whatever happens in the next few weeks, allow yourself to analyze the situation in a way that empowers you, and act on it. If what you think about is what you bring about, you will be doing yourself a great favor.

And do you know what the best part of this gift is? It is one that will continue to be with you well into the New Year. It could even help with those "pesky" New Year's Resolutions you're thinking of making.

One last thought: You may be wondering if what I am saying is "true." You may be wondering if there is any point in what I have said. I did, after all, say there is always more than one perspective. If you are that person, and you think I could be wrong, I have three questions for you in regard to trying out what I have suggested:

What have you got to lose?

What is the worst thing that could happen?

Is the worst thing that could happen something you could live with?

If you can live with the potential outcome, then consider what your life would be like if "Santa" was alive and well all year round.

In the end, the "facts" will always be tainted by someone. Are you going to use their perspective, and make it your own, or are you going to make and use your own? The difference between the two is a world apart, and the choice you make can make all the difference in the world.

There is a a good chance that if you change your perspective, you will likely experience changes in the world in which you live. Don't take my word for it, though, try it out. See if what I say makes sense for you, and makes a difference for you.

I would love to hear your experience with this mindset. If you decide to take this on, or already have, I would love to hear from you what your experience has been. Write me Here, or feel free to post a comment.

Happy Holidays! (and long live Santa!!)

No comments: