Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Perspective: Stores Online

Recently I went to a seminar for Stores Online.

They use a common ploy these days:

They invite you to an hour and a half introduction,
and serve you a meal. In addition they offered a
"free" mp3 player. It wasn't an ipod. Although
if you wanted an ipod instead of the cheap looking
thing they offered, turns out you can get a
remanufactured one for shipping of about $8.

The introduction they offer is convincing. They
tell you for $48 they will provide you an internet
workshop and lunch. They also tell you - to be
"fair" - that they will be selling you on their
products and services.

I always like to learn as much as I can, so I paid
the money, and went to the day seminar.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I had gone to a
similar one several years ago in NY, but thought
perhaps things had changed enough, it could be
worth it.

Sadly, what I saw was manipulation.

When I went several years ago, I didn't know what
I know now, and I "bought" into what they were
offering, only to rescind it within the legal period
of 3 days after purchase. I realized when I got
home and checked things out, it really wasn't for
me. They had, however, convinced me that what they
offered (which is "merely" tools and a platform)
would open my horizons.

Back then I wasn't as aware of language and manipulation,
as I am now, and I have to wonder how much of that went
into play.

Forward to this time, and I felt badly for those who
were manipulated into the purchase. OVER $6000 to
buy in, and then a monthly fee of about $50 (if I
remember correctly).

Granted, everyone is looking for internet magic,
however, from what I could tell, they weren't offering
much of anything that isn't available somewhere else,
and for - in some cases - free.

The instructor mentioned a "Key Word Tool" and said
that that alone was worth the money that they were
charging. I couldn't believe what he was saying! Yes,
it is a valuable tool, but it is also available through
Google at no charge!

He also kept making a distinction between the "basic"
site (the one you got for $48) and their more advanced
site with all of the tools. Interestingly, for an
internet seminar that was supposed to teach you
something, it was sorely lacking for anyone who wasn't
in a position to (or desirous to) spend the money.
None of the things that were really helpful were a part
of the "basic" plan/site.

Didn't have the money? No problem. They had financing.

If you weren't going to do this, and you had credit
problems, then good luck to you, because if you didn't
have a merchant account, then people wouldn't do business
with you. They - my friends - were your savior.

I decided to write about this because I have some
perspective regarding their services, and my experience.

I went knowing nothing, and got "sold." I went knowing
something and came away with a story to tell. I find it
sad that there are so many organizations that will
manipulate you into doing something, and under the
guise of "helping you."

To be fair, some people have had success with their
products. However, I suspect the failure rate is much
higher. There are many complaints about them on the
web.

They do tell you that you're on your own with these tools.
They don't make promises that they don't keep (at least
not as far as I can tell). But what they do do is
manipulate people into buying something that may not
be beneficial, or right, for them by weaving a deceptive
web that could easily be caught up in.

My experience of their over all attitude was that they
were quite arrogant. As with anything, I always say
you need to find your own way - listen to your gut - and
if what they offer truly speaks to you, then by
all means, act on it. You could be one of those success
stories.

However I have found that you can "get by" on your own a
lot less cheaply. Don't know how, or where to start,
perhaps I can help. I do all of my own stuff, and find
that while it may not be the best, it is a place to start.
I'd be happy to see how I could help you get started.

All the best to you.
Hope you are enjoying your holidays!
Elizabeth

No comments: