Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I didn't really need the flour...or did I?

Today was a fascinating day.

When I consider the facts of the day, I am totally intrigued.

I can trace it back to about 11:00 today, when a friend of mine called, and asked if we could reschedule our 3:00 call for tomorrow. It worked out well, as there were some things I wanted to do, so I easily agreed.

Next, it was a few hours later, and my phone rang with an unavailable number as I was getting ready to go out. Usually I don't pick up unavailable calls. For some reason, this time, I did.

It was someone I hadn't spoken to in months, and honestly thought maybe we never would again. Things got pretty yucky between us last year, and all things considered, I felt it was likely for the best. I had pretty much kissed our friendship good bye, which was a good thing, really, as I was able to speak quite freely with her about what I was feeling about what transpired in the past.

When you have nothing to lose, it's amazing how freely you will speak your mind. I had absolutely no attachment to what happened, or didn't happen. What was even more interesting, was that she has this idea, and it's a really good one. It was one I was going to help with last year, until everything kind of blew up. Apparently, she has made strides in her life since we last spoke, but has not progressed in regard to this one particular thing.

As it turns out, I could have helped her last year, but I can help her even more this year. Is there some reason I answered the phone? Was this it? I am in a different place now in more ways than one, and pretty much told her that I would and could do one of two things: either I could be a "consultant" and tell her what I thought of what she was being told by others who could do work for her, or I could help her myself.

She's a little leery of me helping her, given what happened last year. I don't blame her. However, I know I am in a different place, and I also trust her intuition. I told her to tune into it and determine which way she wanted to go. I have enough going on, I don't really need one more thing.

Freedom. It is a VERY wonderful thing.

So, then, we spoke a lot longer than I really had time for, and wound up leaving home later than I wanted to. When I got to the bank, there was a teller immediately available. Her name? It was the same as the person I had just been on the phone with. Hmmmmm...what was THAT about?

Afterward, I went to the gym, and then decided to go to the grocery store. As I was shopping, I told myself to intuitively guide me what to buy. I was in the aisle with flour. I didn't really need the flour, but found myself picking up a package. A few aisles later, I realized that the package was open. I made a note to myself that I would have to go back and get a new one. For a moment I considered backtracking right then, but decided to complete the rest of my shopping before returning for a replacement.

I completed my leisurely "tour" of the grocery store, and returned to get a sealed substitute. As I turned into the aisle, a woman right in front of the flour looked at me very strangely. It turned out that she said I looked just like her sister, and she had to do a double take! Within our conversation, I asked her what her shirt logo meant, and it turned out that she had her own company, and she was interested in my newest project - www.UnitingVoice.com. I asked for her card, and I will be in contact with her.

It was almost like she and I were meant to meet. Had anything been any different, I may not have met her. Had I not looked like her sister, maybe we wouldn't have done more than acknowledge each other. Who knows?

All of today's events seem quite "coincidental." However, I know better. I somehow feel as though I was being guided in response to my desire to make a difference in this world, coupled with my willingness to do things differently.

Who knows what it will all mean? Maybe it will never be clear, and then again, maybe it will be perfectly clear: just like a person I spoke with yesterday that I met at a seminar I just took. We met the first morning in the registration line, and saw each other frequently throughout (some people I never even saw at all) and then, as I was doing my last pass through, I saw her again. There seemed to be a reason.

When we spoke on the phone afterward, after a semi-lengthy conversation, we gave each other something valuable to "chew" on. It also turned out that we have similar missions in life. I don't know about you, but I LOVE these types of things. I know it's no accident, though. I know it has a lot to do with where my mind is these days, and what it is that lays deep within me.

I have been working on this for months. It would seem that the crops are getting ready to bear fruit, and I am very excited by the possibilities. I have heard that what we focus on today creates our tomorrow.

Oh, one last thing about the call from the friend I hadn't spoken to in months. She gave me a gift today by reminding me of something that I had been told by someone in my family before I moved cross-country last year. This person (funny thing is I don't remember who) said I would be back east by Christmas. Well, Christmas has come and gone, and I am still here! I was a little worried at the time, what if the statement was correct? However, the fact that I am still here, and still standing says a lot, and I am grateful for the gift of the memory - which I would never had gotten, if I hadn't picked up the phone.

One last thought before I go. Any time you consider that what you are doing is for naught, consider that it is like planting seeds. Consider that your thoughts and concerns are like rain, and that in a few days, weeks, months time you will be harvesting the life you planted.

Is it the one you want? If not, consider a different way to look at things...a different...perspective. (LOL, this is getting a little too predictable...smile).

Have a great day, and thanks for reading!

No comments: