Sunday, June 1, 2008

What does it mean?

Yesterday I caught part of the movie called The Rookie. It stars Dennis Quaid in the role of a man who was the oldest baseball rookie in "30 years," (so it said in the movie). It is based on a true story. It is a very cool story for many reasons. The one in particular that I am writing to mention is a line in the movie that is said twice, once my the father of Dennis Quaid in the movie, and once by Quaid's character himself.

Interestingly, to me, it seems like the inherent meaning in the words (in the movie context atleast) is one that is designed to limit one's options. Funny thing, though, when I heard it, I heard it quite differently.

I want to quote it directly, however, have been unable to find it on the net, and wasn't able to write it down exactly. So, in order to share it with you, I will do the best version I could get, and later (when I get the movie for myself) I will come back and give the correct version.

The quote is "It's OK to think about what you want to do - until it's time to do what you are meant to do." What I heard with that quote is that you can THINK all you want about things in your life, however, when it is time to step up and BE all that you can be, you'll know it, and you'll stop THINKING about all of the what ifs/coulds/shoulds, and ACT.

To me, it was the epitome of allowing life to flow naturally. To me, it meant that when you are doing what you are meant to do, there is very little (if any) thinking involved. It also felt like "meant" equaled something in the Bigger Picture (perhaps yet unknown).

The movie, several hours later, was followed by Wayne Dyer on PBS, talking about the Power of Intention, and how we can choose to work with Source. He spoke to how it's our free will to choose to work with Source, which knows only positive and good stuff, or not. He spoke of how we tend to get in our own way.

So, then today, I revisited a TED talk with Jill Bolte Taylor. She is a scientist who studies brains, and also had a stroke.

What she speaks of is how she got to experience first hand the roles of the two sides of our brain, and the choice we have as to which part we work from. She provides my favorite word, PERSPECTIVE. It's a beautiful thing. When we are able to see the parts of what drive us, and how and why they do, we are able to interact with them differently than when they are a indiscernible part of our life.

The video is less than 20 minutes, and if you have the time, I think you will find it worth the time to "visit" with her. I have placed a link at the end of this post. She is a great, and even humorous, speaker. In her sharing, I think she actually is a representation of my interpretation of the first quote I mentioned.

She was a brain scientist, thinking about how things worked, until she was given the "gift" of her stroke, until she did what she was "meant" to do. What she has shared is an incredible gift to us all, and without her consciously unintended experience, we wouldn't have received such an amazing perspective of someone so grounded in the body and mind, and yet have a perspective that is so large it goes into the world of things some would call "flaky."

If you are reading this, maybe these pieces will fit into where your thoughts have been recently, or perhaps will begin the chain. Either way, consider that as difficult as change may sometimes seem, it might just be as "simple" as doing something differently, or viewing something in a different light.

Change might be as simple as making a different choice - and doing what you are meant to do could be as simple as making a choice to get out of your own way.

Have a great week!

Jill Bolte Taylor TED Talk

No comments: